Saturday, October 20, 2007

Nicaraguan Transportation

I was trying to think of something to write about as it seems to get harder and harder every time, but then I realized I am just getting more used to eveything. So here is a little on traveling in Nicaragua!


This is Emalee and I in a little moto-taxi. Moto-taxi´s have three wheels, a seat in front for the driver and seats three comfortably in the back. However, I have easily seen 9 Nicaraguans in one!


This is our famous Peace Corps´ bus that we take to many events a couple times a week. It is driven by Douglas, the nicest Nicaraguan ever!

So I don´t have a picure, but old school buses from the states are the main form of public transportation here. They are usually decorated and have an obnoxious horn that is used all the time. The front and back door always remain open as they will stop for anyone anywhere along the route wanting to get on. There is the driver and at least one guy collecting money and standing at the door shouting the bus´destination rapidly multiple times. As you are trying to get on, there are people getting off and more people waiting by the door for the next stop. In additon, people selling anything you can think of get on and off the bus going up and down the aisle. Yea, kinda difficult. Many times you stand the whole way as buses are packed. You have to make your way to the door before your stop as they wait only long enough for the last person´s foot to leave the bus. You can bring just about whatever and they will lift it to the top...bikes, bed frames, you name it. Animals luckily have been limited mostly to chickens. I still haven´t been able to figure out how they remember who has payed when there is a constant flow of people and you don´t pay as you enter....genius memory I guess. Well that about describes it and I will admit, riding the bus here for the first time can be quite a scare but it just becomes anther part of the Nicaraguan scene!

1 comment:

J. Morrison said...

In a previous posts you described such a serene and relaxed Nica atmosphere where people would rush to pull out a chair just sit and chat.... also when you keep updating your facebook page with new books, you actually have time to read a non-textbook book! Wow your world is so foreign to me.

Anyways… I found this post contradicting my previous thoughts because I had this calm, slow paced picture in my mind of your Nica experience. Here you are writing about bustling transportation rides full of chaos.

Stay safe and I miss yah much,
Jamie and The Quaz