Thursday, October 11, 2007

Youth group update and my host-mom


This is the school that my training group is working with. This week we will be giving our second class. We also organized a youth group that meets here two times a week. Next week, they are presenting mini-projects to the mayor´s office that we have been helping them design. Currently the school burns their trash and doesn´t have running water during the day. Therefore, kids do not wash their hands often and drink out of one cup from a barrell that holds water. They also do not have toilet paper or soap. They will be asking for some supplies to clean up the trash at their school and also for the garbage truck to collect their trash. Simple things that everyday we take for granted.

This is my host mom holding a chicken and standing with our two dogs in the entry way of our house. My host-mom is great! I enjoy talking to her and she is so patient with my spanish. She is always worrying about me. If I so much as sneeze, she is asking if I am getting a gripe (cold/flu). It is pretty much just her and her youngest son Carlos, who is eighteen years old, that are living in our house but we always have tons of visitors.

1 comment:

J. Morrison said...

I like all the pics you post. It is nice to see your new world through pictures.

I love the cows near the school! Mooooo... but on a side note, might not be the best for public health... what is the status of bovine/zoonotic diseases over there?

If there is no running water during the day and no toliet paper.... the common cup in the barrel must be interesting. What is their sense of sanitation? Do the kids get sick often or have their bodies become adapted to the abundant microb world? ummmm interesting.

Much love from HB and The Quaz