Thursday, August 30, 2007

Getting to know Nicaragua!

Wow! So much to take in but so far everything is great. My hotel is like a resort. We almost feel guilty for staying in such a nice place but we all are enjoying the moment as we know our sites will not be so glamorous. We will be here until Saturday and from then on I most likely will not have internet as often.

I received my tetnus and first rabies shots...first of many to come. Training has been long but the people are all so nice, open-minded and down to earth. I have truly enjoyed all of the conversations with all my fellow volunteers and they have all been so supportive when anyone has been feeling a little down.

I am almost up for internet time but I wanted to share a quote that our country director said today that truly describes the Peace Corps mission.

Go in the search of your People
Love Them
Learn from Them
Plan with them
Serve Them
Begin with what They have
Build on what They know.

But of the best Leaders
When their task is accomplished,
their work is done,
The People all remark
¨We have done this Ourselves.¨
-Lao Tsu, 700 BC

1 comment:

richard_trace said...

even if all people remark 'we have done this ourselves', i am sure the trees, the strees, and the sky of nicaragua will remember you, your devotion to nicaragua is unerasable!