Sunday, August 26, 2007

Time to go!...FAQs

Hello Eveyone!

So tomorrow morning I leave for Washington, D.C. for our pre-departure orientation! I will meet my fellow volunteers (about 35 others) and fill out last minute paper work. Then, on August 29th, I will depart for Nicaragua! For those that do not know, Nicaragua is located in Central America between Honduras and Costa Rica.

So what am I feeling now??...well yes, scared of the unknown, uncertain how I will adjust to the hot climate, the culture and of course how I will deal with the language barrier, but more so excited to experience all of the above! What are my parents feeling??...well, of course nervous about me being in a foreign country, sad I am leaving, but proud as well.

When I arrive in Nicaragua, I will have 12 weeks of intense training (cultural, language and technical) and be living with a host family in a community by Jinotepe, Nicaragua. Jinotepe has about 30,000 people and is located on the Pacific side.

After training, I will be placed at my site (determined at a later date) for two years where I will be an environmental educator. I will be implementing sustainable enviromental programs in elementary schools such as nursery, compost and gardening activities.

I will have occasional computer access. Yes, you can send me packages but smaller ones are best (under 2 pounds) as it will be deliverd closer to me with a less chance of being stolen. It may take a while to reach me so do not include parishable items. You can email me for my address. Anymore questions??...just ask! Keep in touch!

3 comments:

LH said...

Good luck on your adventure. We are all extremely proud! Do you still remember your promise?...

richard_trace said...

Heard about you from your dad long time ago(about ur skydive!), have an impression that you like adventure, this time you proved that once more. Your dad is very proud of you guys, heard two much of that, which made my ears ach sometimes:)
Have a great and safe trip, life is full of adventures and excitement!

Richard

J. Morrison said...

Be safe coley! We want you back in one piece... but if you end up in a few we will still want you back!

Write a good blog cause i'll be living vicariously through you and i'll try to comment with zest to leave you with a smile.